Thursday, November 22, 2007

And Taxes

Since I hadn't, apparently, spoken with *She* enough in the past month, I received a letter from the IRS last week informing me that I hadn't paid my 2002 taxes. This was news to me, because *She* and I had agreed to pay the 2002 taxes jointly, as it was our last year filing Married.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. This is what I get for trusting in things like Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and an Amicable Divorce.

The five-year time-bomb went off with spectacular dizzying results. The IRS's initial estimate is that I owe $72,000. Apparently they show that I sold a house and didn't buy a new one.

*She* has been less than responsive. Correction: She has had little to say about the taxes. Much to say about my personal character, integrety, and in one memorable voice-mail, my hygiene.

We have been using a neighbor as a go-between for a few years. The neighbor is happy to send over whatever documents she can to help with my filing, but I of course, deserve everything *She* has done in setting this up. Quite amusing, really.

The tangle's becoming untied, slowly. I went to consult with the IRS earlier this week and was told two important things. 1: As long as I don't owe any taxes when I file for 2002, I won't owe any late penalties. That's good, because right now I owe about $9,000 and change in late/non-payment penalties. 2: I learned that if I supply a letter declaring that *She* has declared the purchase and sale of our homes on her taxes, then I don't reckon those in mine. This is good because it drops my income that year by $120,000. hooray.

So, I'm off to start my filings.

If this gets resolved within the next four-six weeks, it should have no impact on my PeaceCorps application. If not...

gargh =:]

No comments: