Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Which is better to be damned for?

Ever have thoughts on your mind that you have rolling around in your head that one day they become questions made of actual words? This one gelled today. I'd like to invite comments, bt please read to the bottom for the specific question.

The Boy Scout Law has twelve points- A Scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean (and)
Reverant

Little known but true fact: When the Boy Scouts of America was created, a 13th point to the Law was hotly debated. This was:

Not A Fool

It was finally decided that the 12 points indicated in the affirmative everything implied in the negative of the 13th. To put it another way, it was redundant.

Regardless, this bit of wisdom is passed around from troop to troop from time to time. I know that I was warned more than once not to be a Fool when I was growing up.

But, it's our nature to be foolish, isn't it? We make decisions every day, and they aren't always good ones. Even our good decisions aren't always made for good reasons.

For whatever reason, this is what's been on my mind lately:

What makes for the bigger fool?

Is it better for a person to be damned for the opportunities they've missed through indecision or ignorance?
-or-
Is it better to be damned for the opportunities they lose out on with the decisions they are making?

2 comments:

capmango said...

Some possible answers:

It is better to follow through on a bad plan than to keep changing plans in hopes of finding a good one.

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Anything is different is good.

Good judgment comes from a wealth of experience. A wealth of experience comes from bad judgment.

I'm pretty sure the answer is in there somewhere.

For me, I'd rather fail at something big than play it safe.

The Troll said...

I've always liked the bit attributed to Eisntein about how the definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting diferent results. Of course Einstein is also credited with this little gem, "There are only two things known to be infinite: the universe, and man's capacity for stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."

I do like the point about experience and judgment. But, since having been a teenager, there are days that I feel like I need bad judgement as much as Oppenheimer needed gunpowder.

Ah, live and learn. I guess that's the point.

gargh =:]